SWCD Now Accepting Applications for Programs Coordinator Position
The Southwestern Water Conservation District (“District”), based in Durango, Colorado, is seeking candidates for the Programs Coordinator position. The District was created by Colorado statute in 1941 to lead in the protection, conservation, use and development of the water of the San Juan and Dolores River basins for the welfare of the District, and to safeguard for Colorado all waters of the basin to which the state is entitled. The District encompasses all of La Plata, Montezuma, Archuleta, San Juan, San Miguel and Dolores counties and parts of Montrose, Hinsdale and Mineral counties. The District has a nine-member Board of Directors with an appointee from each Board of County Commissioners.
The Programs Coordinator provides support to the General Manager in overseeing the day-to-day District finances and operations, coordinates core Southwestern Water Conservation District (“SWCD” or “District”) programs and is the primary coordinator for the District’s outreach and education activities. The position also assists the General Manager with special projects as they arise. The General Manager provides day-to-day supervision of the position, with additional guidance and oversight provided by the SWCD Board of Directors (“Board”). The position is a full-time, non-exempt position that is based out of the District’s office in Durango. Please see the Job Description below for additional information about the position.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, have strong verbal and written communication skills, and good public relations abilities.
The Minimum Requirements for the position are:
- Four-year College Degree
- Five (5) years clerical, administrative or accounting work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with budget and accounting programs (i.e., QuickBooks)
- Organizational and time management skills
- A valid Colorado driver’s license (or ability to obtain within 3 months of hiring) as well as valid motor vehicle insurance which meets Colorado’s minimum requirements
Highly Desirable Traits and Skills include:
- Knowledge of geographic area and river basins in southwest Colorado
- Background in water issues, water rights, or water accounting
- Bookkeeping, accounting, contract management and/or budgeting experience
- Experience in management of natural resource programs
- Background with taxing districts
- Experience with financial grant evaluation
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work well independently as well as with a team
This is a full-time position with benefits including Paid Time Off (PTO) and holidays, retirement plan, and health and life insurance. Anticipated pay range is $50,000 to $60,000 annually. Although a pay range is listed, annual pay for this position will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the State and Federal equal pay laws. The Southwestern Water Conservation District is an “at will employer”.
To apply, please submit: (1) a cover letter explaining the basis for your interest in the position and a short explanation of why you are a good candidate for the job; (2) resume; (3) fully completed Application for Employment form; and (4) a fully completed Disclosure Regarding Background Investigation form. Forms for #3 and #4 above are available below.
All materials listed above must be received in order to be considered for this position and should be submitted electronically (PDF preferred) to the General Manager at: [email protected]. Application period will remain open until the position is filled. Those interested in the position are encouraged to apply early.